Design is an important part of crafting. We all find inspiration in different ways, especially from the things around us. The hard part can be figuring out how to make your design vision into a reality. My inspiration was my husband’s love for his Big Green Egg (BGE). The one tip I recommend when trying to design a file is not to recreate the wheel. I always check the Silhouette Online Store first to see if there is a design I can use as my starting point. For this project I found the design BBQ.gst created by Silhouette that I used to start moving towards my ultimate goal of the Big Green Egg design. Just because I modified the file does not give me the right to sell or distribute it.
- I figured out what pieces of the file would work for my design. The base was the most obvious part of the file I could use if I modified it. To modify the base I double clicked on the design, to bring it into point editing mode. Then I adjusted the length on the base legs by clicking on the edit points and shortening the middle leg.
- The body of the BGE was the next part I tackled. I made an oval shape for the body, then I modified the body of the grill file to fit my need. Next I aligned the shapes, selected both and welded. The end result was an egg body shape.
- Lastly I made the top of the BGE using the shape tool. I made a rounded rectangle and a larger cornered rectangle, aligned the shapes and welded them together. I made a small rectangle for the handle. The band of the egg I modified the BBQ file’s band to fit the shape of my BGE body.
With a little imagination and use of a few simple tools in Silhouette Studio I was able to create the file I needed to complete my vision of the BGE design file. I encourage you to play with files you have, break them apart, weld, edit points etc. Silhouette Studio has lots of great tools for you to try.
For this project, I used the following:
- Silhouette CAMEO®
- BBQ (Design ID#1739) by Silhouette
- Silhouette Studio® (any version but I recommend at least Designer Edition)
- Oracal 651 Black
- Oracal 651 Dark Green
- Oracal 651 Silver
- Oracal 651 Light Brown